Hey, I know my title and my picture are from two separate universes but it’s all dork greatness to me. I wanted to do something Masters of the Universe inspired because this nomination comes all the way from Southern Germany from the blog Wolfstor. Wolfstor is a great blog that focuses on Masters of the Universe, awesome ’80s action flicks and more recent comic book movies and TV. A ton of heart and soul goes into all the articles that come out from Wolfstor so go take a read and enjoy.
Little did I know that when I nominated Wolfstor a month or so ago that he would than throw the nomination back at me. It’s an honor to be nominated again from another blogger that I respect. Thank you so much for thinking of me and I hope I can come up with some more interesting answers (lol). And when I complained that I wanted to write more in 2017 I never fathomed my new year would start off with the nominations I have received. Thank you! Sadly due to time issues, I’ve been picking at this for over a month. I apologize for its untimely manner.
The Mystery Blogger Award was created by Okoto Enigma and as she says over at her site,
“Mystery Blogger Award is an award for amazing bloggers with ingenious posts. Their blog not only captivates; it inspires and motivates. They are one of the best out there, and they deserve every recognition they get. This award is also for bloggers who find fun and inspiration in blogging; and they do it with so much love and passion.”
After reading that I wonder if he nominated me by mistake, lol. I’m absolutely floored by the nomination and humbled by someone that has been as supportive and insightful as Michael. So thanks to him and to EVERYONE that has made 2016 a fantastic year over here at My Side Of The Laundry Room.
- Put the award logo/image on your blog
- List the rules.
- Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Mention the creator of the award and provide a link as well
- Tell your readers 3 things about yourself
- You have to nominate 10 – 20 people
- Notify your nominees by commenting on their blog
- Ask your nominees any 5 questions of your choice; with one weird or funny question
- Share a link to your best post(s)
And away we go….again (lol)
3 Things About Myself:
1. I am a coffee fiend. Ever since I kicked the almost 20 year habit of smoking six (plus) years ago, I have turned to coffee to help ease me through times of stress. It really doesn’t matter what flavor or strength it is, I love coffee. To help stay a little bit more healthy, I drink it black. At the time of this writing I’m already on my fifth huge travel mug of this elixir of life, and it’s only noon.
2. Nightcrawler was my favorite comic book character growing up and the fuzzy blue elf will always have a place in my heart and be one of my favorites forever. I always was a fan of his looks, powers, and winning personality, but my fandom began after I read the Nightcrawler mini-series in 1985. These books were so weird and “off the beaten path” from where the X-Men comic was at the time. The X-Men books had a completely dark undercurrent to them and this mini-series went the complete opposite direction. It was a super fun series and made a me a fan forever of Kurt Wagner.
3. Speaking of being a fiend, I am also a dork t-shirt fiend. I can’t even guess how many I have, all I know is it is a whole closet full. I have everything from Star Wars to X-Men to Venture Brothers to Naruto. My favorite is a Wolverine shirt that is drawn by Barry Windsor-Smith from the ’80s. It has Wolverine’s face with one half his mask and the other half maskless. The art is from the Marvel Universe Handbook and it instantly takes me back to 1987 whenever I see it hanging in the closet.
My 5 Questions to Answer:
1. Why are you writing?
Well, I think the main reason I write is because I get overtaken constantly by nostalgia. It might sound weird but when I get something from my childhood stuck in my head, I have almost an anxiety attack type feeling, but I think it may fall more into an OCD category. Even before I started My Side of the Laundry Room I would comb the Internet for hours and make lists and notes about whatever subject was on my mind. Sometimes it would be as silly as making lists of what TV shows were on during a specific year in the eighties.
So I thought after decades of doing this routine and not really having an outlet since having kids, I would start a blog. The thing that sent me over the edge to finally take the plunge online? Ewoks, Battle for Endor. I wrote over 3,000 words and i had no signs of stopping so I moved onto other things, lol. One day I hope to get back to it but for now I have plenty of other topics to get OCD over.
2. What is your favorite ’80s TV series?
Wow, hard question. The honest answer is ALL OF THEM. All the cartoons are a given, so I’ll give a “Prime Time” answer. The show that will stop me in my tracks whenever I happen upon it is Magnum P.I. I love everything about this show. Tom Selleck is a great actor and they took full advantage of it on this show. There were episodes that showcased his humor, his seriousness, and some that showed darkness when it came to the Vietnam War. Great show, great setting, and great supporting cast.
But to be honest, I will watch and adore almost anything from the late ’70s to the very early ’90s.
3. What is the worst movie you remember ever watching?
This is a super hard question for me. I have seen my fair share of crappy movies but most I view for what they are. So the idea of worst isn’t based on budgets or even stories its based on subject matter and if I was entertained. There have only been a handful of movies that I found so bad that I turned them off and never looked back, and that’s saying something because of the horrible Sci-Fi movies I watch and am still entertained. So I choose 1998’s Happiness as the worst movie I’ve seen. I know at the time it was view as “art house” and hip but I found it deplorable and without any redeeming qualities. I only watched about a half an hour of it and it still bothers me…and like I said, that is saying something. It is a highly rated film and I feel like something is wrong with me for thinking its shit. Hell, I’m even scared to say I think it’s bad because of feedback I could get…ugh.
4. What is the most beautiful thing in the city you live in?
Other than my wife and kids, I think the most beautiful thing in the city I live in is the buildings along the main street (Baltimore Street) of the city. They still have all of their original architecture and some even retain some of the old painted advertising on their bricks. Also personally I love the abandoned Hanover movie theater. It is where I remember seeing Clash of the Titans in 1981. I can’t remember if it was my first movie or not but the experience is still so vivid in my mind.
Also personally The Sheppard Mansion. It was where my wife and I were married.
5. If you were given $1,000.00 and needed to spend it on “fun things” within 24 hours – What would be the scenario?
Wow, a Brewster’s Millions type question! I think the first thing I would get is the Donald Duck Collection Vol.4 DVD set. I have the first 3 and somehow missed the 4th. Since then it has skyrocketed in price And I can’t justify spending the money on it. It really kills me too because it has my most favorite Donald short of all time, “Trick or Treat” from 1954.
After that I guess I would catch up on some comics, toys, and books I’ve missed out on over the past couple years. Don’t really have a list because it would depress me too much to think of all the awesome stuff I need/want to get.
4. Battle Ram
7. Movie Babble
My Questions to You:
1. What is your favorite Disney character? Why?
2. What is the very first movie you remember seeing in the movie theater?
3. If you collect comics, what are the types of comics you hit the “quarter bins” for?
4. What was your first concert you went to?
5. (The weird one) What’s the last TV theme song to get stuck in your head?
And, Some of my Best Posts:
This month I have been going over some of my most favorite posts since it’s the one year anniversary of My Side Of The Laundry Room. Since I’ve covered some of last years best posts, here are a couple from this year that I like.
This was a great post to write because I had been invited to write a guest post for the spectacular spooky horror blog Just Dread-Full.
Another fun post I wrote was about the totally bonkers toy line Power Lords. I always have a blast delving into the past of toys.
And of course I have to add one of my “Top 5” lists which are always a joy to do. This one is especially near and dear because it spotlights forgotten fantasy toys of the ’80s.
Thanks again to Wolfstor for the nomination and again I apologize for the lateness of this post.
Keep Being Rad & Stay Dorky